What I’ve Learned in Four Pretty Long Days

I’m still going strong with the early morning wake ups. Gosh I hope it just becomes a habit. That would be awesome.

2014-12-04 04.58.59

I’m going to do a couple more runs in the Wave Inspire 11 shoes before I share all my thoughts, but I’m loving them so far. I did seven miles this morning ta an 8:00 pace watching some horrible movie. I don’t even remember the name of it.

I had a plan to get in some resistance and strength training in tonight at some point, but time with the boys took priority so I didn’t do it. I did get some extra steps in though around the mall because a certain someone was on a milk and cookies break.

2014-12-04 17.12.47

I am really loving this Fitbit Charge by the way. I pretty much live in it. There’s still time to enter to win one for yourself and check out all the happenings on the Shape and Men’s Fitness Blogger Challenge.

So yeah, or dear friend was on a milk and cookies break, but thankfully the boys did a really great job of waiting patiently.

2014-12-04 17.13.512014-12-04 17.24.28 HDR

This week has been a little rough for all of us with the new schedule, but man have we been all about quality time together when we get it.

You know who finally showed up and we had some quality time with him too.

2014-12-04 17.39.44

This particular Santa is actually a family friend so we get a little extra attention.

Joaquin asked for a Match Tow Truck and a Bat Bot. Oh wait, after a quick Google search I’m just now realizing it’s a Max Tow Truck.

Judah wants a Hideaway Pet.

Santa’s elves have their work cut out.

Okay, so yeah, I may need a couple days to recuperate after this week, but some of you figured it out. I’m back to teaching PE. It’s funny because I never thought I would be, but life just works out that way.  Even if you’re not ready for change, it comes at you and you just know it’s the right thing to do. More chat later, but this has not only been one of the longest and most exhausting weeks of my life, it has also been one of the best. I totally feel like I’m back in my element. Who knew?

Here are some random things I’ve learned though in only four days back in the working world.

Having a mom that has recently retired is one of the biggest blessings ever.

Salad bag bowls are just the best and will pretty much be happening every single day.

I need a little assistance picking out normal outfits to wear on a daily basis. Thank goodness I have someone willing to help.

2014-12-02 05.59.52 HDR

Coke Zero is everything I thought it would be the other afternoon after not having any sort of diet soda for over a year and a half. Yeah, that’s right, I have nothing to hide friends. It was awesome. I was hoping I wouldn’t like it, but that wasn’t the case at all.

Setting out workout gear for early morning workouts and setting out clothes for the day the night before is genius and saves so much time in the morning.

Hugging and squeezing the boys after a long work day is the best thing ever.

Getting used to a new schedule is exhausting. When Andrew offered to pick up dinner on the way home tonight I didn’t even let him finish his sentence before I was telling him my order. The chicken burrito the size of my head just may have been one of the best I’ve ever had and those special peppers that came home as a little bonus were pretty awesome too.

2014-12-04 19.11.45

The broccoli slaw was my own little addition.

I have a new appreciation for the weekend. I can’t wait for my first true Friday tomorrow in over five years. Holy smokes it’s going to be glorious.

That’s all I’ve got. It’s past 9:00 pm and it feels like it’s midnight.

Beavis, I just remembered that this guy might need to go report to Santa tonight before he gets lazy and forgets.

2014-12-03 23.12.14-1

He finally made an appearance this morning.

I may have to take a little time off this weekend to recover and decorate for Christmas and make sure I get in enough family time.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Comments

Jennifer mykytiuk says:

Oh I am so feel ya on the back to work thing! It is hard to get back into it but it will get easier. Staying organized and preparing the night before is the only thing that gets me out he door in the morning- oh and coffee! I am still struggling to get workouts in. But I’m not getting up for them at 5am either. My stovetop espresso maker died this week when I brewed without water. You bet I ordered a new one as fast as I could! Oh and I love that you are using the silk coconut almond blend. Isn’t It the best thing ever??!! Yay for the weekend!

Ruth says:

Congrats on your new job!!!

jessica says:

I too am a PE teacher and hey if you work it ain’t a bad gig 😉 You get to wear workout clothes and teach kids about keeping healthy!

I am not looking forward to making the switch back to working again – alarm clocks and I are not friends! I’m super impressed with your 5am workouts, I don’t know if I could handle that early wake-up call!

Jessica T. says:

Where are you teaching PE?

Annie says:

LOVE THIS!!! I teach elementary PE, have 2 kids, run marathons and yes it is exhausting but hey I get paid to stay active, teach about fitness and healthy ways and in the mean time instill that in my own kids!! PS you have to start running with your kids…it changes the way they think about running and you get miles in without having to wake up soo early!!

That is so cool that you’re back to teaching PE! Perfect job for you, really. The early morning wakeups will become a habit soon enough, it just takes a little time to adjust. I always have my running clothes folded and sitting right where I can grab them without thinking as soon as I get out of bed. And my shoes are always waiting at the door!

Congratulations on your return to teaching and a solid week of working out early! Enjoy your weekend with your family!

You would be such an awesome teacher to motivate those kiddos and make it fun too….I bet you are always changing things up. However, I am always amazed at the number of games P.E. teachers know….I mean I guess you have to but I had no idea there were so many out there. 😉 And square dancing…do they still do that?

Krystin C. says:

Lots going on for you, congrats on going back to the teaching world!!! Enjoy the family time this weekend!!

Congratulations on the new job! I will be returning to the workforce soon too, and I would love a gig like that! Can’t wait to hear more about it.

So exciting that you are back to teaching PE – I know you are awesome!!!
    Enjoy all of your family time this weekend!!!

mel bee says:

I love that your elf is just now making an appearance. Congratulations on the new job…I’m sure it will be great and will make your time with your boys that much more special! Enjoy your weekend!

Tess says:

You will be a fantastic P.E. teacher for kids. Wow, how lucky they are. I know it seems overwhelming at first due to the new schedule but soon you’ll realize “hey I got this”. Congratulations!!!

Congrats Kristin! I am sure it comes with the good & bad meaning the kiddos & missing them. I hope it all works out for you!!!!! HUGE HUGS!!!!

Samantha says:

“I was hoping I wouldn’t like it, but that wasn’t the case at all.” I often feel the same thing when I take a big break from oreos. hahahaha. Since I can remember when you gave up diet coke I was stunned it has been that long.

I am recently back on a commuting to office job after 12 + years of telecommuting, it is brutal. You have my full sympathies.

elizabeth says:

I noticed that you always wear the long compression socks for races and after, but I don’t think you wear them for daily training? Is there a reason to wear them during races, instead of only after?

I run in them when it’s cold enough. I get so hot on the treadmill that I rarely run with compression socks on inside. 🙂

• elizabeth says:

Of course, I’ve forgotten how stuffy working out indoors can be. It was 20 degrees this morning while I was running, so I wore long socks for extra warmth.