I Can’t Think of a Title

Yep. I can’t even think of a title right now, and I don’t want to waste time trying to think of a cute one, so there you go. Lovely.

I had a good flick ready for my early run today.

2015-01-06 05.11.49

The Internship or The Interns. I’m not totally sure what the exact title was, but it was good stuff. Anything with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson usually just rocks though, doesn’t it?

I started off my run with some tired legs from the new classes last night. After two warm up miles I figured I’d give one of my planned 5 sets of intervals a go and see what happens. I guess the movie distracted me just enough to power through the actual workout on my training plan with 5 sets of a mile at 6:49 pace with a minute rest in between. I finished off with some slow cool down miles.

2015-01-06 06.16.25 HDR2015-01-06 06.18.14

I stepped on the sides of the treadmill a few too many times. I really should keep a running tally and rewards myself when I don’t step off. Hmmm….

I saw this awesome quote on Instagram this morning from Quest Nutrition.

2015-01-06 06.17.14

Heck yes failure is a part of success and THANK GOODNESS!

Oh, random, but I don’t get as much time to reply to comments these days, but I do read every single one and say things back to all of you in my head of course. Ha.

Um, and can I just say, you are all WAY too nice by the way. I mean really. WAY too nice.

Anyhoo, Leianna asked about what I eat before the early morning runs. I actually don’t usually eat anything. We eat dinner late and to be honest the thought of waking up earlier that I already do just to eat before running makes me cringe.

But…… I know a lot of people need fuel before runs and I’m sure it would be much better for me if I did, but at 4:30 in the morning it’s all about just getting it done.

If I run later and have some time before hand I always have coffee and some simple easily digestible carbs like a whole grain bagel or a roasted purple sweet potato or something. Everyone has different needs though, but I wanted to make sure I answered that.

Speaking of eating. I really need to make my breakfasts simpler. It’s hard though. I tried to be simple today and take a purple potato (that I roasted over the weekend and have stored in the fridge in Ziploc bags)

so I mixed this new spicy egg white salad I found at Trader Joe’s with kale to have with my potato.

2015-01-06 07.52.04

It took less that 30 seconds to put together and it was delicious, but it was NOT easy to eat in the car. Not sure of there’s a way to make that easier.

Here’s the salad I’m having for lunch every single day today to try to make things easier.

2015-01-05 12.36.00

Again, thank you to Trader Joe’s- butter lettuce, chicken, balsamic vinegar, spicy hummus, crushed red pepper and Everyday Seasoning. Simple. Delicious.

Here’s my outfit of the day. Not that you care, but I thought it was really funny that I kept getting the comment “there’s a tag on your shoe”.

2015-01-06 14.55.55

I always keep race tags on my shoes until I have to take them off for another race or something. If they are shoes that are retired from running, well, the tag just stays on for good.

I also had someone ask me if I only wore Mizuno shoes and I had to say yes. Ha ha.

These guys are getting crazier by the day. I mean they were full on fighting while I was making dinner and now they won’t stop bighting my shirt. There’s a chance they are worse than puppies.

2015-01-06 19.49.45

Random, but my brain is mush at the moment, but I got an email from Penzeys Spices today about a new roasted garlic they just came out with. I can’t wait to try it. YOU can get a free 1/2 cup bottle with an online order right now. I have the email with the coupon if you’re interested. Email me and I’ll send it to you. I’m about to use mine. Oh and also random, but their Very Hot Crushed Red Pepper is absolutely the best crushed red pepper ever. It’s hotter than the normal stuff and darn fabulous.

2015-01-06 20.26.56

Not all crushed red pepper is created equal.

Ha.

Okay, I have a really fun recipe for you tomorrow. Woot!

Happy Tuesday. (Is it really only Tuesday?)

I need some easy breakfast ideas if you have any.

Comments

I really think we should do away with titles sometimes – they’re such a pain! some days!

I am zero help with breakfast – I pretty much live off of english muffins with different toppings – pb&j are my go to though. 🙂

Morgan says:

I meal prep for my work week on Sunday’s and I always make a 9×13 pan of breakfast bars- egg whites, flax meal, protein powder & some sort of fruit blended in the vitamix (this week was vanilla powder, ginger and cinnamon with frozen cranberries). I bake them & cut into squares- they fit right into a ziplock and are tasty cold and with a scoop of nut butter! Sometimes if I feel fancy on the weekends I cut them into small pieces and put a couple poached eggs on top. I also bake my sweet potatoes on the weekends for the whole week! And cook a salmon (Alaskans always have a freezer full!) so those are my staples. And yes- I have had weeks when I ate salmon for three meals a day….

Amie K says:

I am an oatmeal girl. I love it made just about any way that is out there. A blog “Kath eats real food ” has a bijillion ways and I am very fond of both her fluffy cooked oatmeal made with banana and her overnight oatmeal. I love it with Cia seeds a banana and a dollop of sunflower seed butter. Easy peasy to make the night before in a jar and put in fridge. All ready in the morning to grab.

Leianna says:

YAY!! You are awesome!! Thanks for answering my question, that is what I was thinking exactly, little carb.
    I’ve never been able to not eat before any run so I know even if I ran at 4am I would need something!
    2 years ago I was vacationing in Carlsbad and wanted to meet/run with you but didn’t want to see creepy, so I hope 1 day we go back and I can meet you!
    You are an inspiration, God Bless!!

JessicaE says:

Anything that can be prepped ahead of time seems like a good idea for you. Yogurt messes: Greek yogurt, oats, fruit, etc. Mix up the night before refrigerate, add some kind of nut butter the next morning and eat.

It might also be helpful to make up a bunch of breakfast wraps/sandwiches and freeze them so you can just grab and go.

Kimberly says:

I always enjoy reading your blog.

An easy breakfast that works for me are what I call mini egg muffins (not sure if thats the official name haha). I mix eggs and liquid egg whites with any veggies I have on hand (spinach, broccoli, etc) and sometimes turkey bacon. Mix it all together a bowl and pour into a muffin tin. Throw it in the over and bake for a little while and that’s it! I usually cook 6-8 of these at a time and keep them in the fridge so its very easy to grab and go. I re-heat it at work and enjoy!

Chrissy says:

First off, Trader Joe’s spicy hummus is AWESOME! We had some for dinner Monday night.

Breakfast ideas…. my fast and easy go to is Greek yogurt, and an apple with peanut butter. I am trying to cut down on grains (so hard!). The honeycrisp apples at TJ are also super-yummy.

Trevor E says:

How you continuously think of clever names, astounds me! You deserve a “I can’t think of a title” post every now and then.

Perhaps it should be a new series? The I can’t think of a title series has a pretty nice ring to it!!

Allyssa says:

Some easy breakfasts that I like are oatmeal pancakes! You can even make them the night before (or anytime before) and reheat them in the microwave! I add pb and warmed berries on mine! I usually use 1/2 c oats (or 1/4 c oats and 1/4 protein pancake mix) plus egg whites 3-4 and then 1/2 liquid (I use almond milk or water). They are quite tasty!

Michelle P. says:

I am with you on not eating before a run. Never been able to do it–makes me sick every time. Usually I take in half a bottle of Zipfizz before a morning run. If it’s a longer one, I might suck on a honey stick or eat a couple bites of unsweetened applesauce before hand. Probably really poor nutritionally speaking but it works for me.

I am the worst at breakfast. I can’t do carbs or I end up snacking all day. Honestly, my favorite go to is half a boneless skinless chicken breast (grilled before hand then tossed in the fridge). The thought grossed out my friends when I told them once, but it works for me. I bet Pinterest would have some great on-the-go breakfast ideas.

Jen rose says:

I make a huge batch of breakfast burritos for my husband once every 2 weeks or so. Tortilla, sausage, peppers, cheese and some spinach. Roll it up and freeze them. He takes one of out night so it partially defrosts, microwaves it for a minute or so and eats it in the car on his way to work.

HOnestly, how do you write all these posts with how busy you are!!! 🙂 I am just losing my ability to come to the computer after work. 😉 I have posts to write & need to get to them!!!

OMG, the kitties – too funny!!!!

I jump off the treadmill too & no guilt anymore although I do active stretching leg swings front to back & side to side when I do it so I feel I am still doing something & it keeps my leggies in better shape with that form of stretching. 🙂

Joe says:

Wow – those intervals are dynamite. And you did them on tired legs? Holy carp batman – that’s awesome.