Toe Taps, New Chunky Arctic Zero, Grandma’s Pork Chops, a Prayer and a Promise

I started the day with some resistance training at home. I used weights and a resistance band and did some of these toe taps (video link) here and there in between to keep my heart rate up.

2015-03-03 05.01.50

I hopped on the elliptical for an easy hour afterwards.

2015-03-03 06.27.50

Random breakfast eats in the car today were a roasted purple sweet potato with cinnamon and SunButter, egg whites, a chicken apple sausage and a low card tortilla with NuttZo and more cinnamon.

2015-03-03 07.51.212015-03-03 09.41.06

I got to see snow today. From afar, but it was snow and I can’t remember the last time I saw it.

I got a fabulous delivery this afternoon of the brand new CHUNKY Arctic Zero flavors.

2015-03-03 16.18.31

I had heard a rumor that they were coming out with some really great new products and oh man they did. Check out these flavors.

2015-03-03 16.20.33

Everything is better with chunks anyway right? I controlled myself and didn’t get into them right away, but did try to get a good picture for you.

2015-03-03 16.21.34

Since it didn’t really show the fun cookie dough chunks I decided I was going to have to get into it later after dinner. Just so I can show you of course. Ha ha.

We took advantage of the only night this week we didn’t have anything scheduled to get in a family soccer game. I tried to capture a cool pic of the men behind me like the good photographers do.

2015-03-03 17.16.50 HDR

All it really is is a close up of my wrinkles and a scar where I had minor surgery as a kid above my eye. Lovely. That’s what over working and under sleeping will do to you. Consider this your warning. Sometimes department store sample skin care products can only take you so far. Ha.

These guys are getting better at their skills though (and at aiming right for the shins).

2015-03-03 17.21.28 HDR

Mom, STUFT Grandma as we now like to call her, makes the best pork chops and stuffing ever. I remember it as a kid and how good it was. I also remember her bringing it over as one of the first of many meals she made us when we had just gotten home with the boys from the hospital.

The other day on our long car ride I made her tell me exactly how she makes them because she still impresses everyone with them.

Here are the notes I took while she told me her secret recipe.

2015-03-03 21.39.03

Tonight after the big game I tried to impress all my men with it.

IMG_5212IMG_5215IMG_5217

It was good, but not as great as Mom does it. She must have a secret. My chops got just a little dried out, but maybe it’s just my oven since pretty much everything I put in there gets overcooked or dried out. Or maybe I used convention when I should have just used regular. Oh well, let’s just say it’s the oven’s fault.

The men were still impressed though so it was definitely a win.

Oh and a huge thank you to Julie who told me that they do indeed make divided plates for adults from this post.

I tracked down the ones she suggested on Amazon and bought a set of six of these.

image

Obviously while the oven was on I decided to throw a couple purple sweet potatoes in for some roasting that I can have with my breakfast the rest of the week.

After dinner I couldn’t wait to dig into the new cookie dough chip flavor of the chunky Arctic Zero.

2015-03-03 20.51.36

Um yeah. It did NOT disappoint. It was so good and those cookie dough chunks in there made it just that much better. this could be a bit of a problem.

I had a good conversation with a friend today that brought me to tears. I told her that my prayers have shifted gears a bit from asking for healing and the ability to run again to just being at peace with whatever the future might hold with this hip business. Gosh darn it I want to run and I’m pretty sure I was meant to defy the odds and keep doing it for years to come even if it’s slow. But…….. if that’s not the plan and if I need to take a different route for awhile I just need the strength to accept that someone else has a much bigger plan for me.

That being said, I’m making a promise to myself that for the next 32 days until Easter I’m making healing top priority. I’d rather sleep more and write less, rest more and stress less, focus more on clean eating and healing rather than consuming enough coffee to get me through the day, and a few other things.

Yep, That’s my promise. I won’t go down without a fight and I’ve done a little too much of the “talking” rather than the “walking” and just hoping to get better on my own. Healing takes time, commitment, focus and sacrifice just like true training does. I’m giving it all I’ve got and if it’s meant to be it’s meant to be.

2015-03-03 22.25.40

I just found this little note right now while I was actually looking for a check. Still looking for that darn check I need to cash, but this note that came with one of my Erin Condren orders has some darn good timing.

Embrace your journey. Whatever it may be.

My orthopedic surgeon appointment is tomorrow and I have a surprise little adventure planned for the boys afterwards.

Have a good one!

Comments

Apryle says:

“Healing takes time, commitment, focus and sacrifice just like true training does.” YES! Embrace this, this is so true, there is just no better way to say it. You can’t force it. You just have to be at peace with it and let it play out.

Carrie says:

Good luck with everything! Reading your blog has always been such an inspiration. And I totally ordered some of those arctic zero chunks online after seeing this! (Seems the NE is always last..I still haven’t been able to find the “new creamy” flavors from months ago!) Hopefully it’ll chase winter away :)

I am buying some of those plates!!!! We definitely need to get our portions under control around here…

When I first looked at your picture with the boys I thought how you were “keeping it real” ……we usually see only the perfect photo or selfie from EVERYONE on Instagram or Fb these days…..when in reality photo shopped or not ~ not every photo we take is a perfect one. Yes, I have bags under my eyes…right now my nose is red and sore from so much blowing with this cold…am I posting any pictures???? Noooo! Wrinkles? Lets not even go there….you should see my baggy neck skin…yes, it does get loose as you age…ugh!

Thanks, for always keeping it real …..even if your “real” picture still looks really good! ;-) I see bike racing in your future??? Never know…..

Erika C. says:

Just want to say have a happy day! Hope your appointment goes well. Hugs!

stacey says:

The best and easiest way to cook sweet potatoes: wash them really good, leave them wet and place in crock pot, turn on low for 8-10 hours or overnight! Done and so good!!!

Wishing you some good news at your doctor appointment today. I hope you get some answers and have a speedy recovery.

Julie says:

Glad you found the plates! Hope you like them! I believe you are definitely going to run again and with your prayer and promise you’ll get there!

melissa c. says:

Prayers for you and your appointment with the doctor and all involved. Beautiful post on prayer and Beautiful picture of yourself and family in the background!

Hey just out of curiosity, what do you do with all the egg yolks? Dr. Oz and nutrionists are now saying it doesn’t contribute to cholesterol at all! I love me a great egg salad sandwich! =)

Stephanie says:

Hang in there. I am right there with you. I miss running. It stinks. Nothing burns as many calories in a short amount of time like a good run. That is why the pounds keep coming.

Stephanie says:

Hayley says:

I am so sorry about your hip…I know all to well what not being able to run feels like. I am still not running because of my injury a year ago. I am always here if you want to talk to have someone to relate too! Sending hugs and prayers <3

The funny thing about selfies. You look at yours and see a few wrinkles and a scar. I looked at yours and saw a lovely women with her family.

Thinking of you always Kristin & get the whole trying to embrace certain things.. for me, less blog & computer for some sleep time. I never get how you write so much!! :) I certainly don’t get enough sleep & the face shows it! :) YUP, only a good dermatologist or plastic surgeon can help me! :)

I hope you can feel at peace more – I can sense the stress….

HUGE HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wondered when the DR appointment was – hope you got some answers and a plan!!!

Rhonda says:

Hi Kristin,
    I sent you an email a while ago and I’ve read a few of your blogs since then. I’m the runner (want to return to runner I should say) with a right hip dysplasia. I hear you with accepting whatever ‘your journey’ is. That was a good reminder. I’m trying to do that but going to fight a little longer to see if I have tried everything.
    I saw my Sports Med Physician yesterday. I’ve lost so much external rotation in my hip and am having more referred quad pain despite doing short runs twice in the past 5 weeks. I’ve reluctantly gone back to swimming a bit and lots of other cardio with riding my road bike on my trainer and specific strength training to fill in all the other days. So we talked about a Durolane injection but instead of spending 410.00 and not being confident that it will help, he’s doing a cortisone injection first. If that has good results then the Durolane.
    Did you have an injection at one point? What was it and did it help?
    Thanks, Rhonda

I totally remember you Rhonda! We can fight it together. Oh man, let me know how the cortisone injection goes. I’m avoiding that at all costs. Writing an update right this minute for the blog actually! Sending healing vibes your way!