Injury Update and The Perfect Salmon

Okay.

Let’s chat injury update just really quickly. I don’t have a lot of time since I’m pretty worried about the time change slapping me in the face when my alarm goes off at 4:30 am tomorrow. I’m not going to lie, I’m scared.

I had an MRI last week. After having a cat scan for the whole pituitary tumor thing, the MRI was really not that bad except that it took forever and was just boring.

My appointment with the orthopedic surgeon was the following day.

I debated keeping the cool shorts, but then forgot them on the table. Gosh they would’ve been cool to bring home. Ha.

2015-03-06 16.07.33_thumb

Here’s what I’m dealing with.

2015-03-08 20.25.08

I don’t understand a lot of it, but the doctor went over the main concerns and that he thinks the pain I’m dealing with now is due to the labral tear.

Yeah, I have one of those. A small linear tear of the anterosuperior labrum (among other things) along with my hip dysplasia.

Just lovely. Stupid hip. Why can’t I just trade it for one of these?

2015-03-06 16.36.17_thumb

Here’s what I found when I Googled “hip dysplasia labral tear” after the appointment. We all do that, don’t we?

image

[source]

Hipdysplasia.org is a really great website that I spent a lot of time on actually with lots of information on hip dysplasia. It’s not that easy to find any good information out there that isn’t just about dogs. Ha.

It gives the best description of hip dysplasia here.

We talked about treatment options.Usually labral tears in normal patients are treated with arthroscopic surgery. However, as we all know, I am not normal and either is my dysplasia ridden hip.

So…

RATIONALE: In general, hip arthroscopy is avoided as the main treatment for hip pain or hip deterioration from hip dysplasia. Hip arthroscopy without bony correction of dysplasia may not resolve symptoms and may potentially increase symptoms, worsen femoral head displacement, or lead to more rapid progression of osteoarthritis (1,2). – See more at: http://hipdysplasia.org/for-physicians/hip-arthroscopy-for-labral-repair-in-patients-with-hip-dysplasia/#sthash.2vUY7bav.dpuf

Lovely.

Then I was told that I’ll most likely need an osteotomy. I won’t go into detail about that surgery because I’m blocking it out at the moment, but a complete description about how it involves cutting the pelvis around the hip joint and shifting it into a better position to support the stresses of walking and how the hip is re-positioned and held in place with screws until the bone heals can be found here.

Hip Preservation Surgery For Adult Hip Dysplasia

So…..

I did not cry when we talked at my appointment. I fought the tears back. Actually I haven’t cried yet at all because I’ve been busy spelling T-I-M-E and I’m hopeful we can wait a bit until the surgery or possibly avoid it all together. It didn’t sound like it was something that needed to be done right now, but given my situation it might be in my future.

I’m waiting on a referral to a hip specialist. I’m not sure how long those take, but in the meantime the doctor said I can do activities that I can tolerate. he says there’s nothing that says I can’t run the Boston Marathon, it’s just about how painful running is, how I feel and how much I can tolerate.

It’s actually been feeling better and I’ve been running on it slowly this weekend (both Saturday and Sunday). The pain doesn’t get worse the longer I run, but I’ve only been on the treadmill and hold on quite a bit. I’m not sure how or if things would be different outside.

If my body lets me, I’m going to keep running for the next few weeks and see what happens. If it’s too much though, well, then, that’s the way it goes.

I did read that prolotherapy was successful in quite a few patients with a torn labrum. The last couple of treatments I’ve had we didn’t know that’s what I had, so hopefully we can target the right area now and see if it makes a difference. It obviously worked so well before with all the hip issues so I’m hopeful now that we know what’s going on it will help.

I think that’s it for now. Day by day. Step by step. No expectations.

Beavis that was a lot of hip and injury talk, wasn’t it? I haven’t really talked about it yet to anyone, so hey, there you go.

I’m still setting my sights on the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge. I think I can do it, it will just be slow and it definitely will be just about the experience. And like I said, I’m sure my body and the Man above will let me know if that’s just not the plan. I just have this gut feeling that I’m going to be there this year.

After I left the doctor I distracted myself with a grocery shopping trip to Trader Joe’s.

2015-03-06 17.59.34

I’ve got a new little meal plan I’m following and salmon was on the menu for Friday.

I typically bake my salmon a little too long. But Friday night was the perfect night to actually get it right.

2015-03-06 19.26.13_thumb

Here’s the secret that my coworker taught me. (I pretty much learn something new and awesome from her every single day.)

Get a pan with oil (I used coconut oil) really hot on the stove. Meanwhile heat the oven to 425 (I used convection).

Season the salmon (I used fish seasoning I had gotten from the fish market in Seattle) and place it on the super hot pan skin side down for 3 minutes.

After 3 minutes transfer to a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with nonstick spray.

Cook in the oven at 425 for 7 minutes. (Maybe a little more or less depending on your oven.)

Viola.

2015-03-06 19.39.21_thumb

Finally I didn’t make “salmon jerky” as Andrew calls it.

It was perfect.

2015-03-06 19.42.43-1

I was so proud.

And there we go.

Off to bed.

Hope your Monday is off to a fabulous start!

Comments

I had a tear in my labrum as well last year. I rested – no running for more than a month. It healed. The.end. It isn’t rocket science that if you give your body a chance, it can actually heal.

I’m going to talk about the salmon and not the tear! That’s one awesome looking piece of fish!

Man I’m sorry to hear this. I have a client who had the same tear. Apparently she’s prone to issues like that and had to have surgery. I don’t really have any words of wisdom. I just really hope that you heal my friend. And MRIs for the snooze factor? It’d be great if they could figure out a way to let you watch tv or at least listen to music 😉

Jenny says:

So sorry Kristen. That is alot to take in, think on and decide about. Pray, pray, pray!!! Hugs….

Sarah says:

Saying a prayer for you this morning as you navigate the emotions & decisions surrounding your injury! I’ve been in the injury boat enough to know it can really do a number on my heart and faith. Praying for you to have wisdom & that you’re encouraged today! Also, your salmon looks incred.

Emily says:

Gah! I am so sorry! I cannot imagine how frustrating dealing with your hip must be. But, on the bright side, I am SUPER hopeful that we’ll be able to run together at Boston 2 Big Sur!!! You are an amazingly strong woman, K!

Nicole Siewert says:

I had surgery for a tear in my tear in my labrum on my right hip. They stitched it up and also shaved the bone down. The surgery was a success and I’m pain free! I got to run on it 5 months after surgery and I also ran my first half marathon a year later!! Lots of physical therapy and I have to remember to always do my glute/leg strengthening exercises but i’m so happy I got it done! Hope everything goes will in your situation!!

Melissa says:

So sorry, friend! I have labral tears in both hips. It’s just fantastic, really. :/
    Thankful you’ve got some great medical care and you know what exactly is going on now; hopefully the right course of treatment will follow and get you back to some happy miles again sooner than later!

You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. – Isaiah 26:3
    xoxo

sassygirl711 says:

hope that all’s well that ends well! be patient.
    the fish looks yum. thanks for the recipe. 🙂

How odd is that THAT 2 ladies who read your blog have had or have tears too??? It’s amazing our bodies can do so much for so long with out getting injured. And do others seem to NEVER get injured at all? Crazy body mechanics I guess.

Frustrations no doubt, but the Salmon….what a success!!

Missy says:

YOUR DOCTOR SAYS IT IS OKAY TO RUN??????????????????????????????????????????????

Ok so you NEED a second opinion.
    (or a new Dr) Please be sure to mention this to the specialist.
    I am just beginning nursing school but that -IMO- is insane.

So sorry that there isn’t a simple “fix” for your pain! I hope that you can tolerate running – glad that it isn’t doing any further damage! Hope this is a great week for you!!!

Linda Viner says:

I’m gong straight to the salmon! I use these parchment bags and the salmon comes out perfect! Season how you like, put in parchment, cook approximately 18 minutes at 425. You can also add veggies! Your Whole Foods should have them. Also on Amazon. http://www.paperchef.com/en/products/cooking_bags

So sorry to hear about the hip issues!! You’re such a strong woman- I know you can handle this 🙂 Sending good vibes! And that salmon looks amazing!

Marcia says:

Thinking, praying, and (more) praying for you my friend. The news, I’m sure is heavy on your heart and mind. know that you are spectacular and amazing, and that no silly hip will keep you down for long. Chin up, I’m rooting for you 🙂

Christy D. says:

So sorry to hear about the Labral tear…as a PT, surgery isn’t the only option, I know you had PT previously, but please consider finding a “sahrman trained” therapist, they take all of your unique anatomy into consideration when designing a treatment program, and really, not all therapy is equal. Shirley Sahrmann and her group of PTs have treated Labral tears and are fabulous at the hip…she is based out of St. Louis, but has trained therapists all over the country, if you google her and find the university she is affiliated with (which I am blanking on right now) they can give you a list of PTs she has trained and you can see if any of them are local to you….don’t listen to the naysayers, lots of people profess to know about the hip, but it is worth it to weed out the gems! Good luck please don’t hesitate to message me if you have questions!

Holly says:

Maybe the doctor knows you really are gonna run no matter what:) Sorry it is hard to get injury news when you enjoy being so active. Have you talked to anyone who has had the surgery? Ultimately it maybe what makes you feel better.

Please take care of yourself, friend. Thinking of you.

Annnnd….I’m back to say that I literally JUST checked another running blog I read, and one of the authors posted two days ago about rehabbing her hip labrum tear. Maybe it would interest you? http://twolittlerunners.blogspot.com/2015/03/my-hip-labrum-tear.html

I am hugging you big time from afar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so sorry Kristin!!! Cry if you must – it is OK!!! I sent you a FB message….. HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your hip! Your bravery and strength will see you through this struggle, but be sure that you take care of yourself!

Thanks for sharing, both about the injury and the secret to salmon success! Your candor and your resilience are both totally inspirational. I’m sending well wishes your way!

Stephanie says:

hang in there. Keep us posted. I have dealt with the diagnosis of labral tear. Your post makes me wonder if my current issue is more labral tear than stress fracture. I don’t want to go see the dr because I don’t want to have a MRI…$$$$$.
    I will wait any longer so let us know how you progress.
    Why do injurie s always occur to people that are active .???
    Keep up the positive spirit..

marti says:

Thinking and praying for you. Hang in there! You are so strong and brave. You amaze me!!

Cassie says:

MRI’s suck. I had one in December with my spine and brain being looked at….it was hard not to move…and love the fish cooking tips the guys in my house like fish…me not so much!

Ok – so we’ve never actually met, but I’ve been following your blog for a few years now and we “talk” to each other on social media, so know that I don’t mean this in too much of a mean type of way.

BUT

What is the point of running Boston? YOU have ran Boston before. Last Year. I get that it’s the freakin Boston Marathon (and i will never run because I’m a super slow runner) but you want to do that AND another race the following weekend? GIRL are you out of your mind? You need to take time off. Like really really really off. And heal. Let your body and mind rest. One of your posts towards the end of last year said that the amount of races you did were more quantity over quality. You didn’t seem happy about that. Let your body heal completely (or as much as it can with your hip dysplasia). Does it suck? While all your friends are training and you should be out there with them? Hell yes it does. But healing and not hurting yourself is worth even more.

Know that I didn’t mean any of this in a mean way, I mean it as someone that has been following your blog and from this side of the screen I worry about you. (That still sounds weird and kinda creepy). But know that I didn’t mean it to be harsh, but I did mean it. (and you have my email & twitter if you want to call me a horrible mean bitch that’s ok too:-) ) Take care of yourself.

Tiffany says:

While people mean well with comments, they are very uneducated with what you’re dealing with. A good friend of mine underwent surgery for dysplasia. It’s not just repairing a tear or shaving bone. It’s breaking your pelvis. So different. And tears don’t “heal” (I have one too). However, she is doing great…and is even back to running. She is on Instagram if you would like to see how well she is doing. jnott2 Best wishes to you! I’m fighting to get to Boston as well. Will be my first one, and my body isn’t cooperating! I get that desire though. So what’s best for your soul.

Oh friend. I’m so sorry to hear this. Injuries are no fun at all. I’m dealing with all this on the opposite joint – my shoulder (labral tear, rotator cuff tear, arthritis) and decided to have surgery and am now resting. It freaking sucks. I’m here to commiserate if you need it! xo feel better soon