The Post With No Pictures

This will be short. I don’t have a race recap yet, but just had to say a quick few things.

There’s been a lot of negative comments about my recent racing. I get that it’s confusing to read about someone who has an injury, feels better and then runs three back to back marathons in a row, but I’m also not the type of person who hides things. I’ve put too much out there and made myself vulnerable and that’s just how it is.

But, let me just say…….

Every runner is different. Everyone runs for different reasons.

I ran the races with approval from my doctors. Not just one, but all three of the specialists that I’ve been working with. Whatever I’m doing mechanically right now (running slower, taking smaller steps, cross training, etc.) is somehow helping my hip cooperate. It may not cooperate long term, but for now it’s working. It worked to let me have three amazing race experiences in a row and I cherish each and every one of them.

I am in no pain at the moment after those three races. However, I am NOT running this week and making rest and recovery my main priority.

I will never be an elite athlete and my days of running as many races as possible and running fast are behind me, but if my body feels good and wants to run and the doctors say it’s okay, well, I’m going to do it. I don’t know for sure if that running will be in a race or just a casual jog alongside my boys on their bikes. I do know that once my running days are over, whether that’s sooner or later, I’ll buy myself a bike instead.

I don’t know what the future holds, but I do know that over the past couple of months my priorities have changed. Life has changed. Goals have changed.

Running is a gift, but it’s not what life’s about. I’m so blessed that I was healthy enough to run these races, but I’m even more blessed to have the family, friends and faith that I do.

I don’t run to burn calories. I don’t run to try to lose weight. I don’t run to compete with others.

I run because it’s my passion. Running makes me a better person. Whether it’s 1 mile or 26, fast or slow, it completes me. I didn’t discover my passion for it until my mid thirties, but discovering it and having a few good years of living it out have been magnificent. I’ve persevered through some major ups and downs and I’m sure there are many more to come, but man it has been worth it.

Someday I won’t have the ability anymore and I’m prepared for that day to come. I’m prepared to have to find another “hobby” as Mom puts it.

But…….. today is not the day just yet.

I will not give up.
I will always dream big.

And if needed, I will press that little button that sends hurtful and judgmental comments to the “trash” as many times as I want.

Comments

The trash is definitely where comments like that belong! I think it’s amazing that you have been able to keep running while still being smart about it. No one knows your body better than you do, and I hope you have many more years of running (fast or slow!) ahead of you! :)

Kelly says:

girl…I can totally relate. I don’t get a ton of support from my family(my husband and kids are AMAZING, I’m talking extended family, parents and sibling) and it’s hard. I’ve had ups and downs, injuries, 3 pregnancies and life. I didn’t discover running until I was 25 and I’m so beyond thankful that I did. Here’s the deal….we just judge each other way too much. I think the struggle is in being discontent with our own lives in various ways and therefor we judge other’s for their failures or accomplishments. We let our pride get in the way of just being happy for other people. I think the fact that you were able to come back from this injury and race and do what you love is AMAZING and that enjoying it while you can is a great place to be. Life changes, priorities change. But being present and enjoying your now is such a gift. I’m totally inspired by you and think you are doing great. Take those comments and trash them lady.=)

I don’t think I have ever commented but I have read and followed you for a while and I just have to say that I always find it amazing that people feel the right to judge another persons decisions especially when it comes to their healthy. You and your doctors know what is right for you and do not owe anyone an explanation! Keep on doing what you enjoy and keep sending that negativity straight to the trash!
    I commend what you have been able to do in recent weeks. I was recently diagnosed with Crohn’s and attempting to get back to my running after going through sheer hell and can only pray for a time when it feels better. Bet your ass I would jump into a 26.2 ASAP if I could toe that line healthy and feeling well!

Melissa Prange says:

Ignore the haters! You have been a source of inspiration for me for the 2 years that I have been reading your blog. And you will continue to be whether you run or not!! If you can run, run. Its YOUR body. I don’t understand the need for people to tear others down. Keep your head up and hit that trash button!!! :)

Girl…this hurts my heart that you had to take time out of your life to write this. To address people that feel the need to judge in such a harmful way. You’re a strong lady with goals and dreams and that is one thing I admire about you. You stand tall and do what is best for you. Often times as bloggers and social media type people we do put so much of ourselves out there for display, but we have to be true to ourselves at every turn. You stand up and do whatever the hell you want to do and do what is best for YOU! I will stand right beside you and I’ll tell the haters where they can go. We know I am no stranger to the trash or block buttons. Love ya!

Tayler says:

As a long time reader who doesn’t comment I just want to say I think you’re so inspiring! As a slow runner myself I am so encouraged seeing you hit some slower (for you fast for me!) times with such grace and appreciation. I hope to one day have some of your endurance. You have the best mind set and you are doing what’s best for you and your family. You are so crazy amazing and dedicated, and I am sure I am just one of a bunch of proud readers!

Dolly says:

We aren’t haters Kristen. I have reached out you a few times via the comments section of your blog, to ask you about training and recovery. I always am curious to know about your changing goals and dreams.

i think last year I became a little disenchanted with your blog. When you were going on about the race of your dreams (Boston 2 big SUR), but leading up to your “dream races” You raced the Carlsbad Marathon in January, and you did a 37 mile charity run. In February you ran two half marathons, in March LA you raced the LA marathon, The All Day 25k Carlsbad 5k) And you didn’t just run these races for “fun” You gave them everything you had. I just don’t understand your racing/ recovery mentality.

Same thing leading up to your dream NYC marathon race. You raced the Long Beach marathon three weeks before NYC, the RNRLA half the week before NYC and then you ran 13 miles on the treadmill the Monday before the marathon. During your taper week?!

You write a public blog, If I don’t agree with what you have to say I will do my best to leave you a respectful comment.

I’m not just a hater. I have a ton of skin in this game. I’ve been a runner for over 20 years. i get it. I know how wonderful running feels, and that endorphin high is the best.

But, I keep scratching my head, at your training/racing. I had to stop following you for a brief time, because I felt that I wasn’t logging enough miles or maybe I didn’t want it badly enough. My body can handle two maybe three marathons a year tops…

If you truly enjoy running as much as you do, i think you should pursue Ultra running. The trails are more forgiving on the body, and there isn’t as much focus on fast racing…. But hey, you do you.

Jill says:

Hey Dolly! I’m an NCAA D1 runner and have been running ever since I could walk. I have been following Kristen’s blog for the last few years and though I’ve never ran a marathon or raced further than 10 km, Kristen inspires me and often reminds me what running is all about. I would never think to compare my mileage, racing, etc. to Kristin’s, I’m just inspired by her attitude, positivity, and passion for running. If reading about Kristin’s accomplishments make you feel insecure about yourself, then, as you said you did before, maybe you should stop reading it.

Erika C says:

Yes. I’m with Jill. Your comment sounds a bit judgemental. Kristin inspires me because she is a working mom just trying to balance out taking care of her family and pursing her passion. Who am I you urge when and how she races? Only she knows what her body is capable of.

Kristin, keep writing and running and hitting the trash on all those rude comments. It’s not worth having to read all that negativity and judgement.

Smitha says:

You are stronger than those comments! You rock my friend! #jfr #ilyf

elizabeth says:

Yes! Running is a gift. Run while you can, I am too! My dad just had his second hip replacement, so it is probably just a matter of time before I cannot run, but I can still run now and I love it.

MILF Runner says:

I just had a hip replacement a year ago. I also have hip dysplasia. I also used to run. Trying to cram all the running in that you possibly can in a short amount of time is foolhardy, at best. The pain will most likely cause compensations and stresses that can lead to more health issues (not just musculoskeletal but also pain reactions can trigger adrenal depletion, hormone imbalances, digestive issues, mood disorders, etc.). Absolutely run while you can…especially if it feeds your soul! But you have a better chance of running for more years on your own non-artificial hip if you run less now. That said, there are runners with hip replacements. There is discussion and disagreement regarding running and hip implants. I appreciate that you left my comment, Kristin. I do not ever intend to be disrespectful and I am not mean-spirited. I completely understand the drive and desire to run. Knowing how important it is to you, I am mostly concerned with you being able to keep it up. Doing less will probably keep you doing it longer.

Erica says:

Those that truly leave hateful (not concerned) comments need to get another hobby ;)

You are the only person that knows your body and I think you are doing what is best for YOU! I really enjoy reading about your running adventures and family :-)

marti says:

You go girl. YOU know your passion that is for running..and some people just don’t get it. FORGET them. Love ya girl.

Funny, I don’t remember the races you ran ~ the times you may have reached ~ or what your training really consists of.

I know you work out a lot….and I use some of your moves even if they exhaust me to the core. I know your family is awesome and I love to see what those boys are up to. You put hot stuff on everything and make some great concoctions which YES, I have tried. Keep on doing what you are doing …. it’s your life and the only one you have been given.

LIVE IT!

Jen Lyle says:

I am so with you on the running and passion. I have a hard time taking time off to rest and recover, and I think that s awesome that you’re taking this week to do that. I don’t comment often on blogs, but I really enjoy reading yours. You are such a strong woman and stronger than the less than pleasant comments. Keep on doing what you’re doing!! You go girl :)

Denise says:

WOW!!! I can’t believe people are so negative!! I am AMAZED that you could run 3 marathons so close together while being injured. I couldn’t do that 100% healthy

Lauren says:

I don’t think I have ever commented before, but I wanted to let you know to just always do what is best for you! Yes, you put your races and times on the internet, but that doesn’t give other people the right to judge you or make hurtful comments! Keep doing what you are doing, and enjoy every step of every run. Your posts continue to be inspiring, and you always reflect on how blessed you are to be able to be running. Congrats on the recent marathons, and I hope your hip continues to heal properly and not give you pain! :)

Lindsey says:

Woo hoo! You go girl!

I have to disagree with one of the posts above about your racing and training. I find you inspiring, uplifting, and awesome. I may not be able to race as much as you do, but your blog brings me daily joy and hope that I will one day reach my goals. I love following your journey and am upset for you that you have to receive so much “negative press” for something that is so, so positive.

To all those haters, comparison is the thief of joy. Be happy for others. Try encouraging them. Say “good job,” instead of “why did you do that?” Do what YOU need to do and be happy for others when they do what THEY need to do.

You’re awesome. Thank you for sharing your story!

Monica Henderson says:

I too follow you because I love your passion for life, family and running. I love to run. It helps me cope life. I enjoy the time to myself and cherish each step. I use to be so competitive. Even though I am a casual runner, I would want to beat the people in my running group, size up my competition at any race and work towards faster pace goals. I had a brain tumor removed 4 years ago and had to learn to walk and then run all over again. I run. Slow and steady for me. It makes me happy. I am a lucky girl. I appreciate each mile I run. I love your posts and following your journey!

People are silly. They think they know you but they don’t. At least they are taking the time out of their boring ass lives to judge you. Feel special. ;) \m/

Stephanie says:

You’re an inspiration! Thank you for sharing your struggles and your successes. And in true to you form, you are handling the haters with dignity and grace. Just another testament to you awesomeness!

Allyssa says:

I really enjoy our blog and I am glad that you are not letting negative comments affect you! I hope that you can continue to run as long as possible and only you know what is best for yourself and your body!

Jen says:

You do you! You love running and are enjoying it. That’s inspirational

Betsy says:

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re having to deal with this! You’re such an inspiration and I look forward to reading all about your races and life recaps. Your love of running is infections! So please keep doing what you do :) I’m running my 8th half marathon this weekend, if you feel like running, swing on up to Fargo, ND ;) Have a great day, Kristin!

Pam says:

Hey friend, you know I luv & support you. As your friend & someone that ran 13 mi. with you at OC, I knew you were okay running this race. You have pure love & passion for our sport & you know what’s working for your body right now. In all aspects of our life we know that there are people that will question our choices, goals, decisions, etc. But, you know what?! They are ‘OUR’ choices, goals, decisions. Sure it’s always appreciated to have people in our corner but, it’s not always the case. Know that there are more people supporting you than doubting you. We are individuals, unique & what works for me may not work for you, etc. When we’re ready to take a break we will. We will know when it’s time to hang up our running shoes for a bit. But, for now we’re enjoying this journey, sharing our adventures, our hobby to the best of our ability in ALL areas of our life that don’t pertain to just RUNNING. I hope that people wouldn’t be so quick to judge because we really don’t know what it’s like to be standing in someone else’s shoes. I know you’re a loving mother, wife, friend, daughter & a heck of an athlete who ‘never, ever gives up.’ love your friend, Pam

I am a huge believe in nobody is the same, listen to your body, do what is right for you, and don’t let people give you shit about it.

Holly says:

Keep running as long as you need to and feel you can. Don’t let haters get you down. And running the Boston Marathon in 4 hours is still something to ferl great about.

Caitlin says:

You do you!! Your passion is inspiring and I love reading about your journey.

Tanya says:

It’s a shame that you have had to even address those negative nellies out there. You have shared yourself with us publicly but you know in your heart what’s right. In reading your blog you obviously put a lot of thought into your where your future lies. You know what’s best for you. Woman should be empowering other woman not bringing them down. You are a strong intelligent human and as long as you feel good that’s all that matters!

mel bee says:

i admire you for putting yourself out there so much. I hesitate to do so because people can be not so nice, but i have made it my goal to let that petty crap slide and share what i want. You are a grown ass woman and if you and your dr’s agree you can run, then run, Forrest, run!

Eugenia Byrne says:

I don’t think I have commented before, but I read your posts daily. Of the blogs I follow, I can relate mostly to you. I love to run long most days…I don’t care much about speed, but the act of running is my therapy. I am fortunate enough to have a Woodway to make it easy for me to run whenever I like. Your love for the sport is evident. There is no other form of exercise that gives you that feeling of accomplishment, leaving you in an energized yet relaxed state. Ignore the negative comments. They have no right to judge you and how you choose to live your life. You are strong and have more perseverance and determination than most. You are amazing. Keep running as long as you are able and don’t look back.

Kristin, first of all, it was so great to finally meet you in person the other day! I’ve been following you for a short while and have nothing but respect and admiration for you. You inspire me! Keep doing you and don’t let the negativity get to you. :)

I’m so very confused as to why some people were writing negative comments. You are a runner, who is injured, and trying to get healthy again while listening to doctors. It’s amazing that people who don’t know you, think they know best and can criticize someone without all the facts. I say delete the hate and listen to some Shake It Off by T.Swift ;) Don’t forget that you inspire so many of us!

Catherine says:

You’re an inspiration ! Keep doing what you do.

Mandy says:

This post is a great response to some of the criticisms/negative comments over the past week. I, a long-time runner with an injury, find your recovery very motivational. And who is to say how many races a person “should” or “can” do in a given time period? I do believe a lot of comments originate from jealousy or insecurity. My husband is a serious triathlete and receives negative comments all the time, mainly from people who wish *they* could do what he does. So, keep doing what you do…and blog about it too! : )

Kayleigh says:

I cannot believe that people would direct their negativity towards YOU! I have been following your blog and IG for years now, and I just can’t imagine what negative comment someone would have for someone that is trying to overcome injury, manage a family and everything else, and still takes the time to inspire others all over the country every day. Yes, inspires. I am running my first marathon in ~3.5 weeks (hopefully), and throughout the last few years you have really been a running/life inspiration for me. Keep it up!

melissa says:

Gah, people.
    I’m sorry this post was needed, and people who have a lot of skin in the game should be the first to know that EVERY runner is different. Just because someone ‘doesn’t understand’ you, doesn’t mean you owe anyone an explanation. Life changes, seasons change, dreams change. You just keep on chasing those dreams and as Meb says, run to win – in whatever context that looks like for you.
    love you, friend! xoxo

sarah says:

Sending you love, friend. Glad I got to run with you.
    You’re a mature adult so you make the decisions that are best for you, your physical and mental health, and your family. And then rest in knowing that you’ve made the right ones.

Kelsey M. says:

Oh my goodness!! You are amazing! I LOVED that you could still run after that little bout of hip drama!! Thank God for doctors that are supportive! I hate that some people are only brave enough to be jerks online. Your posts are so uplifting (even when you are feeling blue). Thank you for being an inspiration! I can’t run at all right now (pesky Crohn’s), so I LOVE reading your race recaps and about all the training and dedication it takes to accomplish so much! Keep your chin up! And keep up the awesome work!

Sarah S says:

I LOVE THIS!!!!! So amazing. And I completely agree-Am a Veteran and am reminded everyday of people who cannot run-I run for me, and because I can! Agree-the day will come when I can’t and I am (semi) prepared for that.

I love your blog-I loved reading about your back-to-back-to-back marathons; and forget the haters! They will say what they want-I don’t personally know you but you seem smart enough not to run if something was truly hurting.

Such an inspiration. Keep it up!!!

Tasha says:

Keep doing what you do! you always have been and still continue to be an inspiration to so many!! forget about all of the negative comments and people, you are simply amazing! I am training for my third marathon because you have inspired me so much. You know your body the best, follow what you feel is best for you and continue doing what you love.

Stephanie says:

Great job! I totally get you and your passion. I support you and commend you in your recovery.

Terry says:

Don’t let those people bring you down. I’ve been inspired by your journey and very impressed with how you actually HAVE listened to your doctors’ advice and not ignore them like so many would. I was a bit behind in reading your blog, and I was SO EXCITED FOR YOU when I saw that you actually did, not two, but THREE marathons!! You’re doing everything right, and you should enjoy your running as long as you can. No one can predict the future – who knows, you might still be running and blogging 30 years from now! :-)

You keep hitting that trash button lady! The internet is full of people that are going to hate no matter WHAT you do. I think it’s great that you were able to do these 3 races. Keep following your passion and sharing YOUR story – that’s why people read along!

Karyn Woods says:

AMEN!!!! Keep pushing and never give up on the dream!! You are inspiring and I hope you never stop sharing. There are so many of us out there that get it and we want to walk this journey with you!!! You are doing it right and I love that you have your family that love and supports you so much! Praying for healing and strength and that you forget the hurtful comments. Its a waste of energy and that’s not at all what you
    need today or ever!!

Emily says:

Bike??? What about course marshaling on an eliptigo?!?!??!?!?!?! BTW, you rock. #runforever

Elizabeth B says:

I really like this. (Wish you had a “like” button!). I appreciate that you make running about cherishing the moments and putting forth your best effort, not just the results of getting the fastest time possible. A lot of athletes, including myself, can learn a valuable lesson from that. Thank you for sharing your journey; it has taught me a lot about what it means to love a sport and to be an athlete. :)

I’m a little behind (actually a lot behind!!) but I wanted to let you know that I think you are amazing and you will always be one of my running heroes!!!

Jennifer says:

You are amazing and you inspire me with your running stories! I love reading each and every one. So proud of your three back to back marathons! Who does that??!! What an awesome gift you have! Keep running and sharing your stories!

1. [...] my last post didn’t have any pictures and lots of deep thoughts, I’ll make up for it with this recap and [...]